[XeTeX] Whitespace in input

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Nov 14 18:15:33 CET 2011

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:

> XeTeX is a TeX engine.  Obviously, it is free to define its own input
> format, and that format already differs from other TeX engines by (for
> instance) allowing some Unicode code points outside the 7-bit range.

I think (with respect) that "some Unicode code points outside the 7-bit range"
is a gross understatement.  As far as I am aware, XeTeX permits a very considerable
subset of Unicode (perhaps even all of it; I do not know) as input.

>> if we were discussing TeX, on what basis do you claim that
>> U+00A0 is invalid ?  And if you assert that it is, /a priori/,
>
> It's invalid if XeTeX says it is invalid, and I think XeTeX should say
> it is invalid.

That is a very different statement, and as that is your
personal position, I respect it as such.  Of course,
I disagree :-)

** Phil.