[XeTeX]   in XeTeX

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 16:47:02 CET 2011

2011/11/14 Keith J. Schultz <keithjschultz at web.de>:
> Hi Zdenek,
>
> I am suggesting that one be forced to use any particular editor.
>
> But, if we want a unified/consistent editor across all platforms,

No, I need unified graphical representation accross editors. One of my
customers was Czech National Bank. Due to security users do not know
administrator password and are not allowed software at their will,
soeone in the bank after some testing decides what can be installed on
users' computers. I cannot tell them "install TeXworks" because they
are not allowed to do it.

I write not only TeX files but also Java, XML, XSLT, Perl, bash, PHP,
httpd.conf files, /etc/motd messages. I do not want to have a separate
editor for each purpose and learn how to use it. Moreover I often use
a text editor over ssh where GUI is not available. Color usually is
but need not be. I need one good editor that can be used in all such
cases and I must be able to use whatever editor other people have if
it is necesary to edit the file immediately on someone else's
computer.

If nice features are added to a particular editor, it is of course
good but the TeX source file readability must not be bound to a
particular editor with particular features.

> I would consider TeXWorks as a viable candidate as it is already cross platform.
> It should be easy enough to add a feature that could make the different forms of
> white space visible.
>
> I do not use TeXworks so I can not say if it works via telnet or ssh.
>
> Personally, I think when working with unicode you should use a graphics
> capable terminal. But, that is just my position.
>
> regards
>        Keith.
>
> Am 14.11.2011 um 15:16 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
>
>> 2011/11/14 Keith J. Schultz <keithjschultz at web.de>:
>>> Well, Zdenek,
>>>
>>> I guess that is where TeXWorks comes to mind. It could give a unified
>>> GUI for TeX with unicode.
>>>
>> Does it mean I will be forced to use TeXWorks and nothing else? And
>> will it work over telnet or ssh without graphics? I have other unicode
>> capable editors if proper fonts are installed but none of them
>> displays nonbreakable space in a way clearly distinguishable from
>> normal space.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz