[XeTeX]   in XeTeX

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 19:25:48 CET 2011

2011/11/13 Tobias Schoel <liesdiedatei at googlemail.com>:

> Am 13.11.2011 12:35, schrieb Zdenek Wagner:

>>> Isn't it just as much a "contradiction" of the "standard" for \ to do
>>> what \ does?  I don't think that is a good way to decide what TeX's
>>> input format should be.
>>> --
>>
>> And how about math and tables in TeX? And I would like to know a good
>> text editor that visually displays U+00a0 in such a way that I can
>> easily distinguish it from U+0020. If I canot see the difference, I
>> can never be sure. And I definitely do not want to use hexedit for my
>> TeX files.
>
> That is a good question. It's close to a question I asked earlier on this
> list:
>
> How much text flow control mechanism should be done by none-ASCII
> characters? Unicode has different codepoints for signs with the same meaning
> but different text flow control (space vs. non-break space). So text flow
> could be controled via Unicode codepoints. But should it? Or should text
> flow be controled via commands and active characters?
>
> One opinion says, that using (La)TeX is programming. Consequently, each
> character used should be visually well distinguishable. This is not the case
> with all the Unicode white space characters.
>
> One opinion says, that using (La)TeX is transforming plain text (like .txt)
> in well formatted text. Consequently, the plain text may contain as much
> (meta)-information as possible and these information should be used when
> transforming it to well formatted text. So Unicode white space characters
> are allowed and should be valued by their specific meaning.

(La)TeX source file is not a plain text. Every LaTeX document nowadays
starts with \documentclass but such text is not present in the output.
Even XML is not plain text, you can use entities as  , ' and
many more. Of course, if (La)TeX is used for automatic processing of
data extracted from a database that can contain a wide variety of
Unicode character, it is a valid question how to handle such input.

>>> Matthew Skala
>>> mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.
>>> http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/

Zdeněk Wagner