[XeTeX] Wacky behavior of XeLaTeX in TeXLive 2011

Susan Dittmar Susan.Dittmar at gmx.de
Mon Nov 7 15:09:54 CET 2011

I can't help with the original problem, but I would like to comment on a
question that came up as an aside:

Quoting Alessandro Ceschini (alessandroceschini.it at gmail.com):
> Why should fontspec try to load a crappy slanted shape in the first
> place? I just don't understand why! Slanted shapes are a last-resort
> stuff, not first-choice. So why loading a slanted shape when the italic
> is available?

I think that's a point of personal preference. With the fonts I use I often
prefer slanted over italic, because the slanted is different enough from
upright to stick in the eye, but closer to the main font than italic, thus
not as much a disturbance.
I'm no typesetting expert though...

	Susan