[XeTeX] Hyperref \hyperlink and \hypertarget not working with accented characters

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Nov 3 11:35:58 CET 2011

Dear Arthur, Paul, Heiko, Ross, others --

>    Please stop.  I am serious.  Just stop.

I was serious too (even when speaking of nominating Heiko
for the non-existent position of vice-Grand-Wizard of TeX :
that was a genuine expression of respect for his quite remarkable
solution to the problem of ascertaining whether a given control
word was, or was not, a TeX primitive).  I was also very serious
when I sought to defend the right of someone who wished to use

>     \hyperlink {rAsociación}{APLT (1988)}
>
> with
>
>     \hypertarget {rAsociación}{Asociación para la Promoción de Lecto-Escritura Tlapaneca.  1988.}

There is no reason at all why someone using \hyperlink and \hypertarget
should need to know anything about AdobeStandardEncoding, byte strings,
UTF-16, or any of the other deeply technical considerations that
prevent "rAsociación" from being used /directly/ as a Name string;
whatever massaging that is necessary to convert from "rAsociación"
to a derived byte string in AdobeStandardEncoding (or whatever)
should be the responsibility of the intervening software layer
that implements \hyperlink and \hypertarget.  It surely /cannot/
be acceptable in the 21st century to tell such an author "Don't use
non-ASCII characters in the link" unless such a statement is qualified
with the words "until such time as the intervening software layer is
updated to allow such things".

/This/ was the point that I was seeking to make, and if I made it
badly, then I apologise : all messages sent over the last few days have
been sent in conditions of extreme difficulty, with one arm completely
useless (as a result of a tendon injury) and considerable pain (for
the same reason).

Very sincerely :
** Phil.