[XeTeX] Hyperref \hyperlink and \hypertarget not working with accented characters

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 2 13:57:36 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 12:21:49PM +0000, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Ross Moore wrote:
>
> >My advice is simply that if you restrict yourself to ASCII
> >letters, then you will not face any difficulties.
> >This is pure pragmatism; nothing less.
>
> As was Knuth's decision to base TeX on US-ASCII.
>
> Fortunately, FMi and others were able to convince
> him that he was wrong, whence TeX 3.  Now we clearly
> need to start on Adobe (and Heiko !).

Why? For destinations the data type is "byte string"
that covers much more encodings than you can think of.

But the tools inbetween apply restrictions (plain TeX,
LaTeX, XeTeX, xdvipdfmx, ...).

And for example, XeTeX adds the restriction that
arbitrary 8-bit bytes cannot be written. A severe
restriction when dealing with binary formats and
arbitrary data.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek