[XeTeX] Hyperref \hyperlink and \hypertarget not working with accented characters

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 2 13:49:10 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 11:42:38AM +0000, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> >>Heiko, you are, I believe, a native German speaker
> >>(please correct me if I am mistaken).  In your
> >>personal opinion, are the following "letters",
> >>"arbitrary rubbisch", or "funny stuff" ?
> >>
> >>	ä, ö, ü, ß, ??, ??
> >
> >Then try
> >   ä, ö, ü, ß
> >   \bye
> >in plain TeX.
>
> But we're not discussing Plain TeX, Heiko : this is the
> XeTeX list,

You are free to use plain XeTeX.

> where the world has moved on, where UTF-8 is
> the norm, and where ASCII is no more than a bad dream.
> Are you really suggesting that in Plain XeTeX,
>
>     ä, ö, ü, ß
>     \bye
>
> is anything other than a normal, everyday, document ?

The mail header of your posting, send by the list server
contains:

Then I must have received a quite abnormal mail out of norm?

>From the last mails I found 477 lines with:

us-ascii: 237
UTF-8: 114
ISO-8859-1: 60
ISO-8859-2: 44
windows-1252: 21
windows-1256: 1

> I have just processed it here, and with
> the addition of just two lines to change the default
> font to a Unicode-compatible one, it generates exactly
> what one would hope for and expect in the 21st century.

Of course, also a font in T1, ... encoding can be used.
Or the input encoding might differ from the font
encoding by mapping via macros, ...

Back to XeTeX:

Byte string means that the string consists of bytes 0-255 (or 1..255).
Can you write them with XeTeX in a file or use as destination names
without using a different encoding?

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek