[XeTeX] Bangla font question

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue Mar 15 22:16:39 CET 2011

In the msgs below, I was asking about a problem I was having with a
Bengali font, and David suggested the problem might be a font problem.
I've done some more testing, and it appears that is *not* the problem.

I tried three different fonts in XeLaTeX: Vrinda, Lohit Bengali, and
Bangla. (Vrinda is from from MsWindows, while the latter two are downloaded
from somewhere.) I also tried the UniBangla font, but when I include
[Script=Bengali] in the call to \newfontfamily with that font, I get an
error 11 in the "driver return code", and the resulting PDF is not
readable.  Without that parameter, Bengali words don't appear correctly
(vowels don't appear in the correct place, etc.).

With the Lohit and Bangla fonts in XeLaTeX, I get the same result: the
vowel sign E, which should hop over just the first consonant to its left,
instead hops over both (and over the ZWNJ between the two consonants).
With the Vrinda font, not only does the E hop over two consonants, the ZWNJ
shows up as a space character (not a zero width character).  (The Vrinda
font is probably not licensed for general use on a Linux system, which is
where I created these files, but this was just for test purposes.)

All three fonts work fine in MsWord: the vowel sign E correctly hops over
just the first consonant to its left.

I'm attaching three files: BanglaBug.pdf is the result of running xelatex
on the file BanglaBug.xetex (a minimal file), while BanglaBugWord.pdf is a
PDF of the MsWord (2007) version.  (I created the Word file by copying the
word from the .xetex file into Word.)  The vowel sign E is the thing that
looks like a left-hand paren hanging down from the horizontal line.  It's
the second obvious character in the PDF created by XeTeX, but the third
character in the PDF output by Word.

I have to admit that this was done with the TeXLive 2009 version of xetex.
I need to get the 2010 version installed...

Other thoughts?

   Mike Maxwell

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:23:51 -0500, "David J. Perry"
<hospes.primus at verizon.net> wrote:
> Sounds like a font problem.  I don't know Bangla, but any properly
> designed font should render correctly any combinations of characters
> that ordinarily appear in the language(s) it is designed to support.
> Implementing such complex substitutions as you describe is difficult
> for font developers, so we can sympathize a bit, but nonetheless
> they should work. I suppose there is a small chance that the ICU
> renderer does not do something correctly when dealing with Bangla,
> but it's more likely the font.  Does the font work
> correctly outside of XeTeX?

is