[XeTeX] using open type fonts for fancyvrb verbatim environments

Ed Morehouse emorehouse at wesleyan.edu
Sun Mar 13 15:37:44 CET 2011

Thanks to Ross and Ulrike for their replies.  For the record, Ulrike's first
suggestion (appending of a number to the fontspec fontfamily name) worked for
me, while the second (defining a fontfamily in the style of fancyvrb) did not.

While this solution works for me, I would still like to be able to combine it
with the specification of opentype font features, but don't see how to do so.
The reason that I don't go the route of defining my own environment that
temporarily changes fonts and then invokes Verbatim is that I would ultimately
like to use \DefineShortVerb to invoke the environment with a single character
to inline brief source code excerpts (which I can't do with the otherwise lovely
listings package since it doesn't handle unicode).

Hopefully, someday listings will be updated to deal well with unicode, but for
now this is a workable solution.  Cheers, and thanks again for the help.

-Ed Morehouse