[XeTeX] hypertext index

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Mar 9 05:04:34 CET 2011

On 3/8/2011 10:54 PM, Alan Munn wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2011, at 9:28 PM, Mike Maxwell wrote:

>>> Not really with xelatex. For that you need xindy, but it has
>>> problems with hyperref.
>>
>> Umm, we've been using hyperref (without xindy) in xelatex and are
>> getting plenty of hyperlinks in our PDF, including to external
>> websites. At least I assume hyperref is what's giving us the
>> hyperlinks.  Isn't that what it's supposed to do?
>
> Yes.  hyperref isn't incompatible with xelatex; it's incompatible
> with xindy and xindy is really the only indexing system that is able
> to cope properly with unicode.  So although makeindex works fine with
> hyperref, if you are indexing anything other than English you really
> need something like xindy.

Ah, but I'm still confused.  Our index entries (created with makeindex,
but not xindy) certainly contain non-ASCII Unicode characters (schwas,
stacked diacritics...), and yet the page #s attached to those index
entries seem to hyperlink just fine. Does the problem happen only if
the hyperlinks themselves on the index terms contain non-ASCII
characters? Like if we used Indic page numbers in our indices?
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
	"My definition of an interesting universe is
	one that has the capacity to study itself."
         --Stephen Eastmond