[XeTeX] Loading fonts from a common server or http URL

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Wed Jun 22 10:18:11 CEST 2011

Hi Everybody,

The problem is not the OS or "filing system". It is the programs.
	1) If you have a remote server mounted all you need
	     is the mount point plus the path to the file. Standard
	     on all OSes I know.

	2) A program can open any/retrieve any file on a server
	     using http. all it needs to do is speak http!

Technically this is not a problem.

I believe XeTex et al. should be able to handle 1) without any problems.

2) would require code to be added to retrieve the file, cache it, and access it
add throw it any when done. A waste of bandwidth in my opinion. There are
other cavets to consider.

A better way is to build your own repository and access that. The only sense
the http approach would have is if you have limited storage!

regards
	Keith.