[XeTeX] Roman Numerals as stylistic alternatives

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Wed Jun 22 00:51:23 CEST 2011

Hi Enrico,

On 22/06/2011, at 8:23 AM, enrico.gregorio at univr.it wrote:

> I tried with AR 9.4.5 on Mac OS X 10.5; I get the number, when copying and pasting,
> as advertised by the package. The only problem is that in some cases not all the Roman
> number gets selected, but copying gives the whole thing.

OK. I'll have a detailed look at what the PDF coding looks like.
Can you send me your PDF please.

> Other viewers don't understand this, as expected. I still feel that it's quite useless:
> if I find "Louis XIV" I may want to copy it and get the real name, not "Louis 14".

Sure.
It is your job as author to decide what your readers should get.

If you want them to get  "Louis XIV"  then no /ActualText is required.
*unless* that X I and V are really: U+2169 U+2160 U+2164 .
In that case you may want the /ActualText  to replace with "XIV" so that
your readers don't end up with the undefined character symbol.

Or maybe you want them to get  "Louis quatorze".
Probably you do want a screen reader to say "Louis quatorze",
but then you'll want to test that AR reads it correctly
--- maybe  /Alt(Louie katorze)  will be better.

This kind of stuff adds a whole new dimension to typesetting.

> Ciao
> Enrico

Have fun.

	Ross