[XeTeX] Polyglossia: Support for romanization of CJK

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Mon Jun 20 16:31:48 CEST 2011

	Hi,

  As Mojca remarked, there already are patterns for Chinese Pinyin, as
part of the CJK package, although it doesn’t support tone marks for the
moment, but that may be added.  You should have a look at that.

  As for Hepburn, I wrote a short file to that effect
(hyph-ja-latn-hepburn.tex, attached).  The PDF file shows the
breakpoints that the patterns find.  It's been compiled with ConTeXt,
and the zip file has all the necessary sources but you need a very
recent version of ConTeXt (less than a month old).  You can also install
the patterns on your machine and remake the format; do you need
instructions for that?

  If you can test the patterns, and maybe provide examples, Mojca and I
will add them to the hyph-utf8 package (but probably only after TeX Live
2011 is released).

  Note that the patterns hyphenate a rather strict version of Hepburn,
for example it doesn't support rendering 東京 as Toukyou and will
happily break between the two vowels.  That can obviously be changed.

> For Chinese, it would also be nice to have some kind of
> Tone-marks-escaping. Either, for the ease of typing, do it
> automatically when a syllable is followed by a number: Zhōngwén:
> \textchinese{Zhong1wen2}. Or, do it with some kind of escaping:
> \textchinese{\Zhong1\wen2} or something like that.

  The CJK package has that for pinyin.

	Arthur