[XeTeX] Contextual Ligature Problems with OT Tamil Font Converted to AAT

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Jun 19 16:24:08 CEST 2011

Am 19.06.2011 um 15:58 schrieb Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd):

> I am not complaining : I am asking for precision, which
> is another matter entirely.

So, here is precision: AAT is a proprietary Mac OS X font technology
from Apple (maybe doomed to die). It started as QuickDraw GX, on which
XeTeX was originally written. AAT fonts were or still are for example
Hoefler Text, Zapfino, Apple Chancery, Skia, some Arabic, Hebrew, and
Chinese fonts,... AAT offers something like automatic, context
sensitive, ligatures, correct use of medial and final forms.

Look, as a starting point, into Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Advanced_Typography
)!

> What is a "kill file" ?  Another platform-specific feature, I
> suppose !

No, it's mailer specific. (At least I do not of an OS, maybe except of
GNU Emacs, that is used entirely for mailing purposes.) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_file
)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Sending unsolicited commercial eMail to this account incurs a fee of €
500 per message and acknowledges the legality of this contract.