[XeTeX] Polyglossia: Support for romanization of CJK

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Thu Jun 16 01:41:16 CEST 2011

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Mike "Pomax" Kamermans wrote:
> Since phonetic guide texts for CJKV are tied to characters, I would consider
> the most logical split one where the guide text is dictated by the character
> boundaries, and the language used. Hyphenation for guide text would be
> strongly tied to the original text splits, as pronunciation guide text does

I thought the original poster was talking about segments of text written
in romanized Japanese as the only script - not phonetic guide texts
(furigana) attached to Japanese script, nor equivalents in other
languages.  The issues you describe are interesting for knowing how to
break furigana when words are split at the end of a line, but I don't
think they're relevant to the original poster's question; it sounded like
they had a pretty clear, and simple, idea of the hyphenation they wanted
to use for romanized text, and it would be a fair bit simpler than the
existing algorithm currently used for languages like English.

I'm not sure that romanized Japanese is used enough for texts of more than
a few words, to justify a lot of development effort going into figuring
out how to hyphenate it beyond the original poster's immediate
application.  Do any established standards or traditions exist for such
hyphenation at all?
--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.