[XeTeX] [Off-topic] Persian versus Farsi

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Sat Jun 11 16:48:12 CEST 2011

Le 11/06/2011 16:23, Vafa Khalighi a écrit :

>     The problem is that some people think they are the center of the
>     universe and the rest
>
>     have only one purpose: to harm them!
>

> Can you name one single movie of Hollywood which was not offensive to
> Persians?

Err, Terminator?

> or Let me ask my question the other way, Can you name a movie that has
> been made about any of Persian heros? A movie about Cyrus the great? a
> movie about Dariush the great? a movie about Ariobarzanes? A movie
> about Surena? and the list goes on.

There are many unsung `heroes' in Hollywood.

>     Let me say that some people here in Greece
>
>     did not like the movie either because Alexander was portraited as
>     a homosexual.
>

> Well, history says he was.

Historians debate, at best. Homesexuality might not even be a
well-defined concept in that respect.

> Further homosexuality originated from Greece.

That is absolutely stupid. Homosexuality (if one can conflate what this
term denotes now and a reality more than 2000-year old) existed in
ancient Greece, but elsewhere too.
How do you expect to be respected and well-considered if you go on with
such prejudice yourself?

> No one can deny that Alexander burnt Perspolis and killed many
> innocent Persian, so much for an angel.

Conquerors are seldom angels, no matter whether we're talking about
Alexander, Napoleon -- or Darius, for that matter. That some people find
them fascinating nonetheless is a frightening trait of the human species.

>     Of course
>     you could say the similar things about the "300" movie/comic book,
>     but you and many/some
>
>     of my compatriots should realize that artists should be freeto
>     express themselves.
>

> Artists can be free to do whatever they want as long as they do not
> try to make bogus!

Artist are free to express themselves; /we/ shouldn't mistake them for
historians.

Best,
Paul