[XeTeX] Persian verus Farsi

Tobias Schoel liesdiedatei at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 10 22:26:25 CEST 2011

This whole discussion is like the search for the aether as the absolute,
unmoving and therefore prime coordinate system.

Contemporary anguages are continua: Every persons speaks its own
"language"(idiolect) that has certain properties (grammar, vocabulary,
…). And now one can only compare two idiolects and group all idiolects
which are extremely similar to each other in contrast to other
idiolects. This grouping is based on valued criteria by the person who
groups. So there are dialects, idioms, languages, language families and
so on as different groupings describing different degrees of
similiarity. So it's utter nonsense to speak of an a priori "English"
language and let "American" differ from it. One can compare the
idiolects spoken by people living in England / Great Britain / UK to the
idiolects spoken in the USA. Following that, one _might_ come to the
conclusion that each differ among themselves a lot less than to each
other and that they differ from each other as much as they do from other
countries idiolects. (You see, this is very complicated.) But all of
this depends on valued criteria, so an Englishman might see huge
differences, but a native from Madagascar might see none.

The grouping into languages is in itself subjective. Linguistic
academics might have a common view to this which has proven successful
for further research.

Naming these languages isn't linguistic at all. It might have a lot of
different reasons, some of which might be politics, propaganda and
indoctrination.

So what can we do? All one can do is show respect to the native speakers
and name the language in a way that is tolerable to them and oneself.

As for me: Vafa want's it to be called Persion, so I'll do it. If some
other native speaker asks me to call it Farsi, I'll do and ask him, why
not Persian.

bye

Toscho