[XeTeX] "Options for all fonts" : colo[u]r, and the transparency byte

Tobias Schoel liesdiedatei at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 6 09:33:43 CEST 2011

Let's see, if I understood you and Johnathan correctly:
1. TikZ does transparency with xetex on all systems using \special{}s.
2. XeTeX passes all \special{}s without touching it (\special{} are
handled by the driver, that is xdvipmx / xdv2pdf.).
3. xdvipmx and xdv2pdf convert TikZ's \special{}s into pdf transparency
on all systems.
4. fontspec uses other means to state the colour of fonts, including
transparent fonts.
5. the way fontspec states transparency will be converted to pdf
transparency by xdv2pdf but not by xdvipmx.

If anything is wrong, correct me.

If the above is correct, could fontspec do it the TikZ-Way? Or could the
following code be made work properly:

\newcommand{\texttransparent}[3]{\tikz[baseline]{\node[anchor=base,#1,opacity=#2]
at (0,0) {#3};}} %#1=Colour, #2=Opacity, #3=Text

  bye

Toscho