[XeTeX] "Options for all fonts" : colo[u]r, and the transparency byte

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Jun 6 18:57:57 CEST 2011

Barry MacKichan wrote:
> In Fontspec.pdf, p. 16:
>
> Transparency is supported
> by LuaLATEXand by X ELATEX with the xdv2pdf driver (Mac OS X only); X ELATEX with
> the xdvipdfmx driver does not support this feature.
>
> --Barry

Yes, I've commented before, but it may be worth repeating it again :
I have no reason to consult the Fontspec documentation, because it
is intended solely for XeLaTeX; I use plain XeTeX, and therefore
consulted the best available documentation, which appears to be
The XƎTEX reference guide, Will Robertson, January 3, 2011. This
latter document, aimed at all XeTeX users, Plain or otherwise, makes
no mention of any constraints on use of the transparency byte with
the extended font primitive. It reads (in full) :

> color=RRGGBB[TT]
> Triple pair of hex values to specify the colour in RGB space, with an
> optional
> value for the transparency.

Philip Taylor