[XeTeX] Customizing footnote markers

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Jun 5 17:21:21 CEST 2011

Alessandro Ceschini wrote:
>> Well, it looks to me as if the expansion of @makefntext tries
>> to perform an assignment to \parindentFFN (even though
>> you omitted an explicit assignment operator); surely this is
>> not what you intended ?
>>
> I intended to have an indentation before the footnote marker.

Ah, but what you have, rather than an indentation, is the intended
/dimension /of the intendation (ten inches, in this case).  If you want
this dimension to be used to effect an indentation, then you need to
add a command to cause an indentation (of specified dimension)
to take place.  I don't speak LaTeX, but you might consider (e.g.)

     \renewcommand \@makefntext [1]%
         {%
             \leavevmode \hbox to \parindentFFN {}\@thefnmark.~#1%
         }