[XeTeX] Another hyphenation problems -- hyphenmins

Thomas Fehige thomas at fehige.de
Fri Jul 15 13:25:17 CEST 2011

Hello again,

I'm still struggling with the hyphenation. In German, you usually set
hyphenmins to 2,2. That is apparently done in gloss-german.ldf, where it
says:

%-----------------------------------
\PolyglossiaSetup{german}{
   hyphenmins={2,2},
   frenchspacing=true,
   fontsetup=true,
}
%-----------------------------------

and it works fine as long as German is the only language I'm declaring.
If I declare \setotherlanguage{english} after
\setdefaultlanguage{german} it seems that this setting of hyphenmins is
forgotten. In the example below, what I expect from \showhyphens{eine,
alte, Dame} would be "ei-ne", "al-te", "Da-me" but instead I get no
hyphenation at all. When I swap the two lines where the languages are
declared, I get the German hyphenmins. I'm not sure if then the English
hyphenation is damaged in any way. This behaviour is not what I'd expect.

Thanks for your time -- Thomas
%------------------------------------------------------
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{german}		% to see the effect
\setotherlanguage{english}		% swap these two lines

\begin{document}
	\selectlanguage{german}
	\showhyphens{eine, alte, Dame}
\end{document}