[XeTeX] Hyphenation exceptions for German -- how?

Thomas Fehige thomas at fehige.de
Wed Jul 13 17:38:10 CEST 2011

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to typeset a book with XeLaTeX. The main language is German,
there will be other assorted Western languages like French, British
English, Italian and Latin in small doses. I'm trying to enter
hyphenation exeptions for German. The \hyphenation{...} command I used
to use with pdfeLaTeX and the babel package seems not to work. What am I
missing? Below is a minimal program that shows what I'm talking about.
Oh yes, in case this is relevant: I'm using the TeX Live 2010
distribution on a Windows computer.

Thank you for your time -- Thomas

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{german}

\hyphenation{
	einer
	Me-ta-ethik
}

\begin{document}
	\showhyphens{Metaethik, einer}
	% that gives me "Me-tae-thik" and "ei-ner",
	% the former wrong, the latter ugly.
\end{document}