[XeTeX] Accessing ligatures from FontForge

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 22 23:36:25 CET 2011

Hello

Forgive the puzzlement of a new recruit to FontForge (which is installed via Cygwin on a Windows XP machine).  And apologies if this isn't the right forum - though frequent discussion of font-related issues here gives me hope.

I edited a font which had just the fi and fl ligatures (in their true Unicode positions at FB01 and FB02) and I managed to create tolerable versions of the other three standard ligatures (ff, ffi, ffl).  Using FontForge I have added these in the slots FB00, FB03, and FB04.  But "mapping=tex-text" in the font call (in plain XeTeX) doesn't access any of them, neither the two that were there already nor the three that I created; however, the standard ` ' `` and '' for opening and closing quotations do work so the mapping call is basically functioning as normal.  The glyphs are accessible to TeX if I give them manually as \char"FB00 etc. but I obviously would like to have them delivered automatically as usual.

I have tinkered with various FontForge menus and had hoped that adding 'liga' to the GSUB window would be sufficient, but there is clearly something I am not doing right.  Can anyone advise?

Many thanks

John