[XeTeX] OT features -- followup

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon Feb 21 13:01:41 CET 2011

Am Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:36:04 -0500 schrieb David Perry:

> Recently I posted a question involving OT features in a font I am
> preparing to release.  Ulrike's suggestion to use \XeTeXtracingfonts=1
> seemed promising, but doing so has not clarified the problem; XeTeX
> seems to be using the correct font file.

I also suggested to call xelatex with the option
--output-driver="xdvipdfmx -vv" and to compare the pathes of the
fonts used by xetex with the pathes of the fonts used by xdvipdfmx.
Did you do this?

> The following just occurred to me:
>
> I was assuming that XeTeX treated each version of a font (roman, italic,
> bold) separately as far as OT features were concerned.  It so happens
> that the roman version of my font does not have any OT features (it used
> to, and it will again when I have time); the italic that I am working on
> now does have several that I want to test.  Could the absence of
> features in the roman font cause XeTeX not to look for them in the italic?

No, I doubt this. But it is possible that fontspec gets confused.

> later in the log:
>
>   fontspec warning: OpenType feature 'Ligatures=NoCommon' (-liga) not
> available
> (fontspec)  for font 'Cardo',
> (fontspec)  with script 'Latin', and language 'Default'.

This refers at my opinion to the roman font. The italic font is imho
called Cardo/I.

But you could test your font with low-level commands e.g.

\font\test="Cardo/I/ICU:script=latn;language=DFLT;mapping=tex-text;+liga"

--
Ulrike Fischer