[XeTeX] XeTeX, fontspec, OTF, and fontdimens

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Feb 20 11:49:15 CET 2011

Am 20.02.2011 um 02:12 schrieb mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca:

> However, if I use XeTeX's default Computer Modern typewriter font by
> means
> of the \ttfamily macro, without loading fontspec, then the spaces
> scale
> and are not stretchable by default; it's resetting the fontdimens on
> every
> size change but that's not a problem because the defaults are correct.
> started.

XeTeX' Computer Modern default is actually Latin Modern. Without
fontspec it loads the PostScript variants of Computer Modern. Latin
Modern is constructed as an OpenType font, PostScript based, to act
exactly like CM.

>> A fix is desirable – have you tested zhspacing
>> (http://code.google.com/p/zhspacing/)? Maybe it has a solution for
>> you...
>
> The "everysel" package seems to be the best fit so far.  zhspacing
> may be
> useful for other reasons, but it seems its main purpose is for
> controlling
> the spacing within runs of CJK text, where interword spaces aren't
> used
> anyway.  The issue I'm facing involves interword spaces in segments of
> English in a mixed document.  I also couldn't get zhspacing to load at
> first attempt - it seems to require a Chinese font called SimSun
> which I
> don't have - but it may be possible to configure it to use something
> else.

This SimSun is an MS Windows font. I've seen free variants. The Latin
glyphs have serifs, the Chinese glyphs could be Song.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have
'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM."