[XeTeX] preventing hyphenation

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Sat Feb 19 18:29:13 CET 2011

On 2/19/2011 12:13 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Sat, 19 Feb 2011 00:13:03 -0500 schrieb Mike Maxwell:
>> In a grammar we're writing, the gloss of a word "xowunʣāy" gets

just a comment, in the line above I meant "roman transcription", not
"gloss."

>> hyphenated immediately after the 'x'.  I thought I could prevent this by
>> adding the command
>>      \hyphenation{xowunʣāy}
>> near the beginning of the file (before the \begin{document} command).
>> However, this has no effect; the word still gets hyphenated.
>>
>> The paragraph of text in the input is
>>      Applies to nouns (including verbal nouns) and
>>      adjectives. \pusArabicScript{ښوون(ه)} /xowun(a)/  \emph{teaching};
>>      \pusArabicScript{ښوونځای} /xowunʣāy/  \emph{schoolhouse}.
>> where \pusArabicScript is our command to switch into Arabic script.
>>
>> Any idea why the \hyphenation{} command is ineffective?
>
> Did you activate the correct language?

Not sure what you mean here.  The default language of the grammar is
English; we have not tagged /xowunʣāy/ as belonging to any language, so
I'm assuming XeTeX thinks it's a funny-looking English word.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
         "A library is the best possible imitation, by human beings,
         of a divine mind, where the whole universe is viewed and
         understood at the same time... we have invented libraries
         because we know that we do not have divine powers, but we
         try to do our best to imitate them." --Umberto Eco