[XeTeX] xeindex bug. index entry mangles processing of section and chapter environments.

Michael Joyner michael at newsrx.com
Tue Feb 15 19:03:57 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Paul Isambert <zappathustra at free.fr> wrote:

> Nice, you've just discovered a bug in XeSearch.

Bleck. I don't consider it nice. Why am I the one always finding these bugs
that don't afflict other people? :(

> Basically, it builds an horizontal box; \section inserts a vertical command
> (\vskip) at the end of its argument; but TeX doesn't like vertical commands
> in horizontal boxes, hence the complaining. This happens only when searching
> for phrases, not simple words, because such things as \vskip are boundaries
> to XeSearch, so it normally closes the box, but boundaries are ignored when
> searching for phrases.

Just ran into a case where it occurs for a single word. Please see example
document below.

> Right now I can only recommend stopping the search before the section title
> and starting it again after. I know it's far from satisfying, but I have to
> think about a better solution.

Haven't quite figured out how to do that yet without changing lots of stuff
not directly related to the indexing so I was trying to index just "words"
and not "phrases". :)

===SNIP====BAD=OUTPUT========
.sty)) (./000000234.out) (./000000234.out) [1]
! Missing } inserted.
<inserted text>
                }
l.69 \subsection*{\underbar{Herpes Simplex Virus}}

?
! Emergency stop.
<inserted text>
                }
l.69 \subsection*{\underbar{Herpes Simplex Virus}}

** WARNING ** Failed to convert input string to UTF16...
** WARNING ** Failed to convert input string to UTF16...
Output written on 000000234.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on 000000234.log.

===SNIP====BAD=DOCUMENT=====
\documentclass[12pt,oneside,english]{book}
\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{verbose,letterpaper,tmargin=1in,bmargin=1in,lmargin=0.75in,rmargin=0.75in}
\pagestyle{headings}
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{3}
\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\usepackage{makeidx}
\makeindex

\makeatletter
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% User specified LaTeX commands.
\usepackage{tocloft}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\usepackage{ifpdf}
\usepackage[unicode=true, pdfusetitle,
 bookmarks=true,bookmarksnumbered=false,bookmarksopen=true,bookmarksopenlevel=1,
 breaklinks=true,pdfborder={0 0 0},backref=false,colorlinks=false]
{hyperref}
\renewcommand{\cftchapleader}{\cftdotfill{\cftsecdotsep}}
\cftsetindents{chapter}{0em}{3em}
\addtocontents{toc}

%\usepackage{tocbibind}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\setmainfont{Century Schoolbook L}

%%not enough "save_memory" can be allocated unless you use the patched
version!
%\usepackage{xeindex}
%\IndexList{autoSpecials}{?®,?©}
%,?™} the ™ does not seem to index correctly as part of a word, only shows
up by itself
%index%\IndexList{autoIndex}{}

%\input{\jobname-inc-preamble} %include externally generated latex code for
the preamble

\usepackage{xeindex} %
\IndexList{xeindexList}
{
Virus
}

%add the index to the toc // done this way to try and make pdf bookmark
correct
\let\myIndex\theindex\renewcommand{\theindex}{\cleardoublepage\myIndex\phantomsection\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{\indexname}}

\usepackage{babel}
\makeatother
\begin{document}
\frontmatter
\thispagestyle{empty}
\pdfbookmark[1]{Title Page}{titlePage}

\title{Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) for the Healthcare
Professional\label{titlePage}}

\author{Published by:  Inform Editions}

\date{02/15/2011}

\maketitle
\mainmatter

\begin{sloppy}

\subsection*{\underbar{Herpes Simplex Virus}}

\end{sloppy}

\printindex{}
\end{document}