[XeTeX] Kerning flaw with MinionPro & XeTex <xetex at tug.org>

Andrew Moschou andmos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 01:21:05 CET 2011

On 7 February 2011 02:07, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:

> Am 06.02.2011 um 15:44 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>

>  Hmmm... I thought 1ex was the height of an `x', not it's width, which
>> makes measuring a width using ex's is kind of strange.
>>

> A dimension or length is a dimension or length. Do you give the size of a
> box in ex \times em? Is a height inch shorter than a length inch? And what
> is the measure of a depth? 6 feet, like in graves?

The size of an ex as compared to the em varies from font to font, so I don't
like using this unit. The em is much more sensible from this point of view,
because it is constant from font to font at the same point size (Modern
interpretation has the em exactly equal to the point size, not the width of
the letter M). The height of an x and the width of an M concepts don't make
sense for alternative scripts.

> Anyway, lower case x are mostly as high as wide. (More perfect than o's.)

Says who?

Andrew