[XeTeX] enlarged characters

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Feb 5 22:27:25 CET 2011

On Feb 5, 2011, at 2:59 PM, Andrea de Leeuw van Weenen wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am quite new at XeTeX, and also have very limited experience with LaTeX,
> as I prefer to use plain.
> Now I have to use XeLaTeX for an edition.
> For this edition I need to put large capitals in the left margin of the
> text. As they span sometimes 2 lines, sometimes 3, I need to call the font
> I am using at larger scales. How do I do that? My file starts:
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
> \usepackage{xunicode}
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \setmainfont[Ligatures=NoCommon]{Junicode}
>
> Thanks for any hints,
>
> Andrea de Leeuw van Weenen

Howdy,

Try the lettrine package. Here's and example (note I've set it up to use the latest version of fontspec).

\documentclass[letterpaper,12pt]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec,realscripts}
\defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX}
\setmainfont[Ligatures=NoCommon]{Junicode}
\usepackage{lettrine}

\begin{document}
\lettrine{A}{re} the lines of this paragraph going to be long enough so that things will look fine when I typeset this paragraph. I'll make sure that the paragraph is long enough so that things wrap and you can see that the paragraph is formatted properly.
\end{document}

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)