[XeTeX] Kerning flaw with MinionPro & XeTex

Adam Twardoch (List) list.adam at twardoch.com
Sat Feb 5 22:26:47 CET 2011

Sorry, I replied prematurely. I did have to change my document to

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{fontspec}

\usepackage{polyglossia}

\setmainlanguage{Serbian}

\usepackage{xunicode}

\usepackage{xltxtra}

\setmainfont[Script=Cyrillic,Language=Serbian]{Minion Pro}

\begin{document}

\fontsize{24}{24}\selectfont Убить!

\end{document}

to get the Serbian variant, and you're right.

I've also tested it with a plain XeTeX variant:

\font\samplefont = "Minion Pro:script=cyrl;language=SRB" at 72bp

\samplefont

\setbox0 \hbox{Убить!}

\shipout\box0

\end

The font has the kerning definition:

@kc38_first_29 = [\uni040E \uni0423 \uni0474 ];
@kc38_second_16 = [\uni0435 \uni043E \uni0441 \uni0444 \uni0451 \uni0454
\uni0473 \uni0431.ital ];
pos @kc38_first_29 @kc38_second_16 -118;

and the kerning pair in question is \uni0423\uni0431.ital

So it should be kerned with the value -118. Unfortunately, it does seem
like the rendered kerning value is deeper than that.

Best,
Adam