[XeTeX] Velthuis to Roman translit

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 19:31:26 CET 2011

Is this the issue you have come across?

   -
   http://cikitsa.blogspot.com/2010/09/xelatex-velthuis-encoding-and-palatal.html

Or is it something simpler?  Perhaps you can just delete the line in the sed
file that produces the unwanted conversion?  Sed files are dead easy to
understand and to write.  They're just glorified search-and-replace
statements.

Wait a minute.  Reading your note more carefully, I think the sed script is
giving you English text with unwanted "\ñ" strings here and there. Is that
right?  If so, you could just add a last line to the sed script to right
that wrong ("s/\\ñ/ñ/g").

Yes, you are right about TEC/map files.  I think you should use the existing
velthuis map files and replace the Devanagari character codes for output
with Latin, just as you say.  Once you get to understand the conjunct
consonants coding, it can be stripped out.  Etc.  I don't know where the
documentation for TEC files is, but probably on the SIL website.

The TEC mechanism is also a glorified search-and-replace system, but with
more intelligence about context-sensitive processing of strings.

Best,
Dominik <https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTIzNzI2MTY5>