[XeTeX] problem rendering unicode Devanagari dependent vowel signs and ligatures

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 20:07:24 CET 2011

I've done some tests on Leo's first problem (see below), and I also cannot
find a way to separate, e.g., the visarga sign (similar to a Latin colon)
from the dotted-circle that is used in Unicode font charts to signify that
the visarga always follows a vowel.

Like this:  ः
If I type the visarga after a vowel, the dotted circle disappears: अः
So, I conjecture, the visarga itself *is* somewhere in the font, and it
should be possible somehow to get at it, for example to discuss it as a
separate character, or teach it to beginners.

It's an identical problem with anusvara:  ं but अं

Similarly, with the Devanagari diacritical accent-like markers that are used
to signify vowels after consonants, the flags on के कै को कौ, or ते तै तो
तौ, etc., apparently can't be typed separately.

I've racked my brains and done several experiments, to no avail.  I think
Leo has put his finger on something here that is probably a stupid error in
the Unicode standard.

Any insights?

Dominik