[XeTeX] extraneous arrow when using \psaxes

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Sat Dec 24 23:38:47 CET 2011

On Dec 24, 2011, at 1:27 PM, Daniel Greenhoe wrote:

> In documentation for pstricks, the statement
>  \psaxes{<->}(0,0)(-2.5,0)(2.5,2.5)%
> produces a y-axis (vertical axis) with an up-arrow only, and no down
> arrow (which is "good" because in this example the y-axis forms a
> T-intersection with the x-axis). But when I try it (compiling with
> XeLaTeX), the y-axis has both an up-arrow and a down-arrow.
>
> What I would like is for the x-axis to have left and right arrows, but
> for the y-axis to have an up-arrow only. But contrary to what I have
> seen in the documentation, that's not what I get. Did I do something
> wrong?
>
> The pstricks documentation I have here is "User's Guide" by Timothy
> Van Zandt, 25 July 2003, Version 97. Here is an example (see also
> attachments):
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{book}
> \usepackage{pstricks}                 % graphics support
> \usepackage{pstricks-add}             % fixe and addons for pstricks
> \setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
> \begin{document}%
> \psset{unit=8mm}%
> \begin{pspicture}(-2.5,0)(2.5,2.5)%
>  \psaxes{<->}(0,0)(-2.5,0)(2.5,2.5)%
> \end{pspicture}%
> \end{document}%

The psaxes macro has changed a lot in the last couple of years and, as you point out, the new version is not always consistent with the old documentation. (The new documentation is in pst-plot-doc.pdf.) To get the old behavior, draw the axes separately with different arrow specs.

\psaxes[yAxis=false]{<->}(0,0)(-2.5,0)(2.5,2.5)%
\psaxes[xAxis=false]{->}(0,0)(-2.5,0)(2.5,2.5)%

Michael