[XeTeX] Typographic question : quotation marks and apostrophes

Andrew Brown lists at c18.net
Thu Dec 22 09:01:29 CET 2011

My target was really off in another direction, William -- we have digitized the characters that compose our words, but not the words themselves, so we remain unable to understand their meaning without examining the context, and perhaps not even then. A trivial example : every morning, a French service indexing auction sales offers me the chance to bid on one or more armchairs, known here as Voltaires, when all I want are books by or representations of the man.

On the quotes front, one answer, generally inapplicable, is to move away from Anglo-Saxonia and to use « and », and double quotes within quotations. Most programs handle that automatically now.

A.