[XeTeX] Overfull \hbox when using inline math scripts

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 03:50:41 CET 2011

Hello,
** Daniel Greenhoe [2011-12-16 09:55:19 +0800]:

> I have a rather long document involving mathematics that sometimes has
> the "Overfull \hbox" problem when I use inline mathematical scripts.
> Before I go hacking up the document with newline and \raggedright
> commands, is there any more elegant solution currently available?
> Below (see also attachment) is an example:

> \documentclass[12pt]{book}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \usepackage{unicode-math}
> \usepackage{geometry}
> \geometry{
>   xetex,centering,twoside,noheadfoot,nomarginpar,
>   paper=a4paper,margin=20mm,
>   showframe
>   }
> \setmainfont{texgyrepagella-regular.otf}
> \setmathfont{xits-math.otf}
> \setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
> \begin{document}%
> \thispagestyle{empty}%
> %\sloppy
> %\raggedright
> Theorem 1.1 (The Theorem That Has This Rather Long Title)
> Let the tuple $(X, Y, Z, A, B, C, +, x, -, !, \#)$
> be some useful mathematical structure.
> Then, \ldots
> \end{document}%

> Many thanks in advance,
> Dan

It might won't help you with you real case but this example can be
improved

[example]
\documentclass[12pt]{book}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{unicode-math}
\usepackage{amsmath} %%% Just becuase I very like this package
\usepackage{theorem}
\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{
  xetex,centering,twoside,noheadfoot,nomarginpar,
  paper=a4paper,margin=20mm,
  showframe
}

\theoremstyle{break}
\newtheorem{theorem}{Theorem}[chapter]

\setmainfont{texgyrepagella-regular.otf}
\setmathfont{xits-math.otf}
\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
\begin{document}%
\thispagestyle{empty}%
%\sloppy
%\raggedright
\begin{theorem}[The Theorem That Has This Rather Long Title]
Let the tuple $(X, Y, Z, A, B, C, +, x, -, !, \#)$
be some useful mathematical structure.
Then, \ldots
\end{theorem}
\end{document}%
[/example]

--
What upsets me is not that you lied to me, but that from now on I can no
longer believe you.