[XeTeX] Typographic question : quotation marks and apostrophes

Philip TAYLOR chaa006 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 15:30:11 CET 2011

I know that a number of excellent typographers inhabit this
list, so I would like to pick their brains if I may ?

In "Two wide ‘weaver’s windows’, usually found on the ground floor"
(which could equally well be "Two wide ‘weavers’ windows’, usually
found on the ground floor", but I am not the author), the apostrophe
of "weaver’s/weavers’" is the same Unicode character as the closing
quotation mark of "windows’".  Should it be ?

Philip Taylor