[XeTeX] XeTeX, XeTeXpicfile, and counter-intuitive behaviour

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Dec 1 16:39:21 CET 2011

Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> No, it's a whatsit. It is *not* discarded, but it isn't a box.

Right, so why isn't the \eject honoured ?

>> I repeat : "Why does \XeTeXpicfile say
>>
>> 	'! Unable to load picture or PDF file"',
>>
>> if it is unable to handle PDF files ?
>
> Then it cannot load PDF files and the error message is correct.

Only a member of the European Parliament could have come
up with such an innocuous-sounding but highly dubious
explanation :-)  So why is it that when I write :

	\XeTeXpdffile Resources/Images/TAR-2.tex width \hsize \relax

it says

 > ! Unable to load picture or PDF file 'Resources/Images/TAR-2.tex'.

and no

 > ! Unable to load picture or TeX file 'Resources/Images/TAR-2.tex'.

???

> Then my guess is that the problem is caused by the removal
> code for the crop marks and the various other things.

But they all function perfectly in the absence of \XeTeXpdffile.
Anyhow, this one must wait until I have removed all the dross.

Philip Taylor