[XeTeX] specifying two fonts

Matthew Overland matthewoverland at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 00:46:15 CET 2011

Dear all

I am trying to learn xelatex after being given a large document that has
greek, english and simplified Chinese.  I can get most things working but
am stuck on one point.

I don't know how to get BOTH the greek and mandarin displayed in the
document

When I use the *\setmainfont* command I can only specify one type of font.
The problem is that all of the greek fonts don't contain fonts for the
chinese characters, and the chinese fontns don't contain all of the greek
fonts (including capitals and diacritic marks).  I can't get both the
chinese and greek displayed at the same time.

The Chinese and Greek is not in blocks, it alternates throughout the
document so I would prefer not to have to tag each instance where I have to
assign the font for the section.

Is there a way to specify two types of fonts for the document?  i.e. one
for the western (including Greek) character set and one for the CJK
character set.  It is possible to do it in libreoffice.  Even better, is it
possible to specify a font for a set range of unicode characters?

This is probably the first of a series of questions.  Thanks in advance.

Matthew