[XeTeX] 64.bit XeTex was::Re: Trying to build microtype-aware xetex

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Wed Aug 31 12:02:22 CEST 2011

Hi Peter,

Am 30.08.2011 um 23:30 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> Am 30.08.2011 um 16:43 schrieb Keith J. Schultz:
>
>> ATSU is deprecated and replaced  by Core Text for handling unicode as of Leopard.
>>
>> So, xetex has to be refractured or rewritten to use Core Text on the Mac.
>
> Why? XeTeX pioneered in the use of Unicode in TeX. Its development has come to a stop. LuaTeX is being developed. Do we need three Unicode TeXs? (The third one is pTeX.)

Simple! Right out of the LuaTeX manual:
Features may come and go. The current version of LuaTEX is not meant for production and users cannot depend on stability, nor on functionality staying the same.

Nothing is considered stable just yet.

In other words, xe(la)tex would be the way to go. For awhile.
Also, I did not want to learn Lua. Oh, Well another programming language to add to the
up-tine programming languages I already have in my head.

I will give it a whirl.

regards
	Keith.