[XeTeX] Microtype (was Re: Trying to build microtype-aware xetex)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Aug 30 15:00:13 CEST 2011

Am 30.08.2011 um 12:56 schrieb Chris Yocum:

> I was just wondering what would be necessary to get micro-type into the
> core of XeTeX?

The recent XeTeX versions in TeX Live 2010 and 2011 *are* micro-type enabled.

They're not needed for recent TeX Live distributions. It's nevertheless useful to use the micro-type package from the TLcontrib site (http://tlcontrib.metatex.org/cgi-bin/package.cgi/action=listall). Cab be used with tlmgr (TLU on Macs).

> Also, it looks like I would have to write the cfg file for each font that I would like to use with it.

Indeed! Perfect font support needs font-specific config files. (And I would like to know how this can be achieved, I mean, by which means can I determine the values by which the glyphs protrude into the margins.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

Clovis' Consideration of an Atmospheric Anomaly:
        The perversity of nature is nowhere better demonstrated than by the fact that, when exposed to the same atmosphere, bread becomes hard while crackers become soft