[XeTeX] Trying to build microtype-aware xetex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Aug 29 03:06:52 CEST 2011

On Aug 28, 2011, at 7:52 PM, Stephen Moye wrote:

> I haven't had to do this in quite some time, so I'm a bit rusty. I had a microtype-compatible version of xetex installed and then updated my environment with TLU which apparently clobbered my xetex.
>
> So now I'm trying to rebuild xetex, but I'm getting an error (Mac OS X, 10.7.1, xcode 4.1.1):
>
> /Users/smoye/microxetex/texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeXLayoutInterface.cpp: In function ‘int GetFontCharRange_AAT(OpaqueATSUStyle*, int)’:
> /Users/smoye/microxetex/texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeXLayoutInterface.cpp:867: error: ‘ATSUGetAttribute’ was not declared in this scope
> /Users/smoye/microxetex/texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeXLayoutInterface.cpp:869: error: ‘FMGetATSFontRefFromFont’ was not declared in this scope
> make: *** [libxetex_a-XeTeXLayoutInterface.o] Error 1
> + ls -l /Users/smoye/microxetex/build-xetex/texk/web2c/xetex
> ls: /Users/smoye/microxetex/build-xetex/texk/web2c/xetex: No such file or directory
>
> I did 'svn up' prior to trying run build-xetex.sh. What are the current directions for building xetex, and where can I find them?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen Moye
>

> Stephen Moye
> stephenmoye at mac.com

Howdy,

I just ran a file through xelatex that comes with MacTeX-2011 with all updates with and without the microtype package (2.5beta6) and I definitely saw a change in the paragraph layout, including protrusion but don't know about font expansion. What are you changing to make xelatex `more' compatible with the microtype package. Just interested.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)