[XeTeX] xparse fails

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Aug 2 02:19:21 CEST 2011

On Aug 1, 2011, at 6:51 PM, Gareth Hughes wrote:

> On 01/08/11 23:35, Vafa Khalighi wrote:
>> There was a similar problem reported a while ago. I do not know about
>> xparse internals as I do not maintain it but Joseph should know what is
>> going on. See also the similar issue which was reported in July:
>>
>> http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2011-July/020840.html
>
> Now that's interesting. My system actually seems to have two copies of
> xparse.sty on it. The paths and ids of each are
>
> texmf-dist/tex/latex/l3packages/xparse/xparse.sty (Id: xparse.dtx 2492
> 2011-07-02 13:40:38Z joseph)
> texmf-dist/tex/latex/xpackages/xbase/xparse.sty (Id: xparse.dtx 2219
> 2011-04-08 21:07:45Z joseph)
>
> However, the command "kpsewhich xparse.sty" only delivers the first of
> these (isn't it supposed to deliver all occurrences?). The line that
> caused problems in that old thread is corrected in the newer copy (first
> copy), but not in the older one.

Howdy,

No it delivers the path to the first one it picks up in the sequential path it searches. That way one in your personal texmf tree gets picked up before one that is in the other trees so a personal version ``wins''.

> The thing is that it has only just stopped working now. So, a recent
> update has created the problem.
>
> Gareth.

Did you do the update using

tlmgr update --all

(prefixed by sudo if necessary on your system)? It appears that the experimental packages were re-organized and some were deleted and others added on my system today.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)