[XeTeX] unicode characters not showing in xelatex

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 19 09:32:14 CEST 2011

Hello

I don't know if it will be of much help, but when I want to bring in a
character from another font (such as the upper half-brackets U2E22 and U2E23
you're having trouble with), I make the character active so that whenever
TeX encounters it, it fetches it from another font which does have it.
E.g.:

\catcode"2E22=\active
\def⸢{\leavevmode {\otherfont \char"2E22}}

And if you find there is some undesirable visual effect, such as bunching up
of this alien character, or that it isn't quite at the right height, you can
add any necessary commands to this to make it look right in your main font.
E.g.

\catcode"2E22=\active
\def⸢{\leavevmode {\otherfont \raise 0.15em \hbox{\char"2E22}}\kern 0.1em}

Hope this helps - I'm not a LaTeX user but as far as I know these basic
plain TeX commands usually work.

John