[XeTeX] Don't update to Mac OS X 10.6.7

Bill Rowe readnews at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 1 22:07:05 CEST 2011

On 4/1/11 at 9:33 PM, keithjschultz at web.de (Keith J. Schultz) wrote:

>I am on 10.6.7 and do not have any problems with fonts and printing!
>I believe their is a simple fix. Delete the font caches.

No, deleting the font cache will not correct the font issue on
10.6.7. But it is also true this problem will not impact all
users of 10.6.7. For the problem to be apparent you must be
using an Opentype PostScript font and you must be using an
application such as Adobe Reader that relies on Mac OS X to
render the font. The work arounds are, don't upgrade to 10.6.7,
don't use Opentype PostScript fonts or use another app to view
the PDF file that either has a built-in rendering engine or
Preview which ignores the problem.

See <http://db.tidbits.com/article/12078> for a more complete
description of the issue.

But also note, it remains possible to corrupt font caches with
10.6.7 regardless of the font type. And if you do have a
corrupted font cache, then deleting the font cache will cause
the cache to be re-built correcting the corruption.