[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Thu Sep 30 04:00:18 CEST 2010

Alan Munn wrote:

> Why should the average person need to learn to program a computer?  It's
> like asking why they should learn to repair their fridge.  But of  course
> when a student bumps up against TeX, they are confronted with  many things
> which are truly out of their actual experience with  computers (again, for
> most people).

The experiences that some of us had years ago are very different from what
kids today have (mostly, anyway).  When I bought my first computer 25 years
ago, I learned a little BASIC, mostly out of curiosity about how one made
the darn things run (and decided that I didn't want to be a programmer).  I
also used a word processor that required one to type in codes for bold,
italic, paragraph indentations, and other things; the screen display did not
look like the printed output.  When, in these latter days, I decided to
learn Xe(La)TeX, this background made things easier for me.  I suspect that
when people who have grown up with only GUIs have a lot of learning to do in
order to understand the whole non-WYSIWYG idea and why someone might want to
do things that way.  lshort or our nascent XeTeX opus needs to take this
into account.

David