[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Sep 29 00:08:39 CEST 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 4:42 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 28.09.2010 um 22:44 schrieb Philipp Stephani:

>>> Using GNU Emacs 23.x – the Unicode Emacs (and any of its variants) – with its AUCTeX extension.
>>
>> I use the same technology, but I would never recommend it to beginners.
>
> "Beginner" does not mean the same as "dumb user".
>
> By learning to use accelerating keyboard shortcuts one gains more time to learn TeX dialects and other details. Having to push the mouse around steals ones spare time. (Which you can waste in GNU Emacs as well, since it has hierarchic menus, even when running as a non-windowing programme, and it also has a tool-bar.)

Howdy,

I agree... however simple front ends like TeXShop and TeXworks also allow you to use the keyboard alone to do many things, including Command Completion to easily generate full environments and easily fill them in and engine/tools in TeXShop/TeXworks to do complex processing. I know emacs'en can certainly do that my point is that these simple front ends can grow with the user so they don't need to use a ``clicky interface.'' And they do UTF-8 just fine.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)