[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Sep 28 23:42:58 CEST 2010

Am 28.09.2010 um 22:44 schrieb Philipp Stephani:

> Am 28.09.2010 um 21:16 schrieb Peter Dyballa:
>

>> Am 28.09.2010 um 16:20 schrieb Tobias Schoel:
>>
>>> Can we now come back to the beginning problem:
>>> Which way of creating unicode-encoded .tex-documents to propose in
>>> lshort?
>>
>> Using GNU Emacs 23.x – the Unicode Emacs (and any of its variants)
>> – with its AUCTeX extension.
>
> I use the same technology, but I would never recommend it to
> beginners.

"Beginner" does not mean the same as "dumb user".

By learning to use accelerating keyboard shortcuts one gains more time
to learn TeX dialects and other details. Having to push the mouse
around steals ones spare time. (Which you can waste in GNU Emacs as
well, since it has hierarchic menus, even when running as a non-
windowing programme, and it also has a tool-bar.)

And, as with the TeX dialects, it's not necessary to learn the 12,345
keyboard shortcuts. (Do you know all the thousands of LaTeX packages
and their options? Are you able to write or understand a TeX macro?
Wouldn't it have been much easier then to learn as a beginner just one
application, MS Word? It even comes with ready to use text templates!
Just fill in, and you're done. Oh, yes: don't forget to save and
backup! This is probably the most complicated thing.)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

The wise man said: "Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to
their level and beat you with experience."