[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Tue Sep 28 09:22:32 CEST 2010

Am 28.09.2010 um 07:42 schrieb Michiel Kamermans:

> On 9/27/2010 8:53 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>>
>> You know, because Windows has the most consistent user interface an OS
>> ever had.
>>
>> (From some one who is yet to see two "native" Windows applications that
>> behave the same)

	[snip, snip]
> I never said TeXWork was a bad program - it's great. But i annoys the hell out of me that it launches two applications when it says it's one. You close the right application, the left application doesn't close. Wtf? I thought I was running one program? So it's two applications... you close the left applicaiton, the right one does close. Again, wtf? So it IS one program? This is not good design for a windows application. It doesn't matter that some other people write good programs with bad UIs on windows, too. A worthwhile program uses the visual semantics that come with the OS it's made for. Stick both the windows side by side in a master frame when the code detects it's being compiled for Windows, make them visible and invisible via checkboxes in view/window->source and view/window->final or something, and presto, the entire gripe's gone. Now it's a cross platform editor that respects the user expectation of the vast majority of people who are going to be new to TeX.

	I do not know the Windows version, but on the Mac TeXWorks is one application and works accordingly. The right window is the view of the
	typeset document. You do not necessarily need it all the time so you can close and the editor stays open. When you close the editor window
	(left) the program closes the viewer because you normally do not need it anymore! This is a consistent UI.

	TeXWorks is a program in development and is designed to run on several platforms. Certain deviations from the OS "norm" is expected and
	can not be helped. TeXWorks is similar to TexShop yet not as feature rich, yet.

	Putting all windows in a single frame is outdated UI and ugly. Even MS Office does not have a single frame.

	As far as TeXWorks being to programs I doubt it. It might have two processes, but that is a different matter. On the Mac it is
	one program. Please no OS war, just stating facts!

	TeXWorks and similar editors take the bite out of the complex program structure tex and its variants and do help the beginner
	a lot. I remember my first experiences with tex. Having to use different programs and not having an on-screen viewer since the
	monitor did not do graphics!! Do not forget tex is actually more than one program!

	regards
		Keith.