[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Sun Sep 26 17:29:12 CEST 2010

Am 26.09.2010 um 15:56 schrieb Axel Kielhorn:

>> Some operating systems or application offer "input systems" or "input methods" which allow to enter non-standard characters.
>>
>> XeTeX also supports UTF-16 encodings. \XeTeXdefaultencoding{CharsetName} and \XeTeXinputencoding{CharsetName} can set many others.
>
> IIRC anything but UTF-8 and UTF-16 is strongly discouraged.

What about UTF-32? It is quite rare for text documents, but nevertheless an official Unicode encoding.

>> Me, I don't know of any font that switches typographic conventions based on the script and language selected, what usually happens is that a different set features is activated for the selected combination.
>
>> GNU Emacs offers input methods. One of them, always available, is C-q <some number>, and the number can be octal, decimal, or hexadecimal.
>
> You just have to memorize the Unicodecode:-)

There are lots of other methods as well. The default input method (to be activated via C-\) is RFC-1345, which seems to be the method that Vim uses for its C-k sequences. C-q is just the most basic method.