[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Sep 26 16:44:17 CEST 2010

On 9/26/2010 9:56 AM, Axel Kielhorn wrote:

> Is the compose feature you mention the same as dead keys?
No.  I have read that on some Linux systems one can type a vowel, press
a "compose" key, and then an accent mark, the result is the vowel with
accent.  I myself don't use Linux, so I'm sure the many Linux folks here
will correct me if I've got that wrong.  A deadkey inserts the accent
(sometimes without showing any visual indicator); the accent then
appears over the following letter.

> On a Mac I can type \texttt{option-u u} to get an ü
Mac OS has the best systemwide support for non-English characters, and
has for a long time.  Windows provides only a very awkward ALT key
method that requires typing decimal or hex numbers.

David